SoC idea: finish wcmd

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 12:46:46 CDT 2006

Hi Brandon,

On 4/21/06, Brandon Turner <turnerb7 at msu.edu> wrote:
> Not to take anything away from someone that wants to do a SoC project.
> But I'm a ROS dev and I know you guys arent taking patches from us right
> now but that aside, one of my shorter term goals is to try and sync
> wcmd(if it is what i think it is, i dont use linux / wine often so maybe
> im misintercepting it) with the ROS cmd.  So just keep that in mind.  I
> would also be more then willing to mentor someone for this project,
> assuming I am not disqualified based solely on the fact I am a ROS dev.

The real issue is the ReactOS cmd and wcmd do not come from the same
code. ReactOS cmd as you know is a 32bit port of the freedos cmd where
wcmd is a totally new implementation. The reason for this is because
its LGPL where FreeDOS and ROS CMD are GPL. Alexandre has stated in
the past that he does not object to having GPL tools in the tree if
there is no other option however most users don't need 100% cmd.exe
compatiblity so getting Wine to adopt ReactOS cmd (all other issue
aside) is going to be next to impossible.

--
Steven Edwards