Re-proposal: web forums

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 09:05:26 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:

>Many projects, including large ones such as Gentoo, provide web forums for
>their users. The benefits are:
>
>* Users can help each other
>
>* Sometimes developers may read it and:
>  * Be able to help users too
>  * Learn what difficulties people are facing
>
>* Many people seem to prefer the web interface to mailing
>  lists/newsgroups
>
>It has been brought up before and people weren't really keen, but I
>thought I'd bring it up again as we get a lot of value out of the forums
>in the autopackage project, and I can't seem to find the old 3rd party
>Wine forums there used to be anymore.
>
>So I'd like to propose:
>
>  http://forums.winehq.org/
>
>Running phpBB or some similar type web forum software, with official links
>and so on from WineHQ. Newman, what do you think, do we have server
>capacity to do this? Do you have time to set it up?
>
>Others, does anybody have any _serious_ objections (by which I mean other
>than "I don't like web interfaces" ;)
>
>thanks -mike

As long as there is a method of the forum "detecting" non-English
threads and moving them to a non-English section. I come across forum
posts with English topics and non-English content. This is not a matter
of bandwidth, but CPU time involved to render a page that I just can't
read. This is especially true when using my other systems (they are very
slow, less than 500MHz).