Re-proposal: web forums

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Apr 22 09:49:15 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
> [Let's set up web forums for wine users]

I dislike the thought of having to monitor multiple forums.
Worse still, if a particular web forum goes offline, all its
content is lost; not so for mailing lists, which are archived
in multiple locations and so are much more reliable and long-lived.
Let's keep it all in wine-users, please.

If your goal is to make sure that the average person can
get answers to his or her questions about Wine, that's
a noble enterprise.   I would prefer a solution that doesn't
have the reliability and usability problems of the current crop of
web forums.  I would also prefer an evidence-based approach
to demonstrating the problem(s) with the current situation.
"Some people prefer web forums" is not sufficient evidence.

As I've said before, Mike is brilliant but misguided :-)
- Dan