Re-proposal: web forums

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Apr 22 13:48:10 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
>> Worse still, if a particular web forum goes offline, all its
>> content is lost; not so for mailing lists, which are archived
>> in multiple locations and so are much more reliable and long-lived.
>
> If you mean archived in peoples inboxes, then I'd argue that this is
> really not an archive at all.

No, I mean that there are multiple archives of many mailing lists;
if one goes offline, the others are there and usable.
(And if you don't like the user interface of one, you have options.)

> Obviously _some_ people post to
> wine-users, but judging from other projects I'd expect there to be a lot
> of others who don't, simply because they're not comfortable with mailing
> lists as an interface.

The null hypothesis (that wine is just unpopular) still needs to be
disproven :-)
I'd rather fix that problem (by getting Wine working) before worrying about
whether my Aunt Tillie can post Wine support questions!
- Dan