GLSL - Compile time check for OpenGL 2.0?

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 06:33:45 CDT 2006

On 23/04/06, Phil Costin <philcostin at hotmail.com> wrote:
> It seems we still need a HLSL to GLSL translator for SM 3.0 but
> that is for future discussion :)
Well, no, not directly. In Direct3D9 HLSL is compiled to the same kind
of code as assembly shaders by the d3d9x library. The d3d9 dll never
sees HLSL or assembly, just compiled shaders. Direct3D10 does contain
a "D3D10CompileShader" function, but that's shader model 4.0.

> I was curious as to whether it would be acceptable to provide a compile-time
> check for OpenGL 2.0?
No, and it's not required either. GLSL is an extension just like any
other, and should be checked runtime, just like all the other
extensions.