Sum-up: Re-proposal: web forums

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:07:09 CDT 2006

Philippe A. wrote:
> When I saw the Wine Wiki, I was disappointed that the app db wasn't
> integrated into it.

There does seem to be a lot of stale information in there.
Maybe a Wiki would be better suited for the AppDB than the current forum.

A forum there is fine too, but exposing it like it is in the AppDB is
sometimes sort of like having a view into the wine-users archive anno
2002.  Hmm, *scratch head*.

> It seems to me the appdb already regroups much of the categories you would
> end up opening in a forum.

Good point.

> How would categories be organized inside forum?
> Would you open a new category for each tested app? Would you concentrate all
> app conversations into a single category? I hope not! But how to strike the
> right balance? I think a Wiki does it by its nature. It is quite organic.
> Content gets created on the spot, when needed, and evolves in place.

Might be a good point, can't figure :o).

> Debates can stay in the mailing list. Information gets distillated in the WIki.

Sounds very reasonable.

I could imagine appropriate forum subcategories (Games --> WoW) should
be referenced from the AppDB, but that the forum interface is too big
to fit inside the AppDB web pages in it's whole.  Wiki features for
the AppDB would be _really_ really cool, me thinks.