Summer of Code Project: DirectPlay

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Apr 24 06:47:22 CDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Adam Luchjenbroers wrote:
[...]
> With the way DirectPlay works, we could provide our own provider and a
> compatible provider if we so wanted (at least, to the extent of my
> knowledge).

IMHO we should saves ourselves some work and only do the compatible
provider since it will be needed anyway.

>>> True. but how does that sit with respect to reverse engineering? Any
>>> potential legal issues?
>>
>> Presumably not since this is essentially how Samba is being developped
>
> Good point, do they adhere to any rules / procedures to ensure legality?

I think the following articles are a pretty nice description of how they
work:

  * How Samba was written
    by Andrew Tridgell
    http://samba.org/ftp/tridge/misc/french_cafe.txt

  * Myths About Samba
    by Andrew Tridgell
    http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20050205010415933

      The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.