SOC project

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Apr 25 11:03:19 CDT 2006

Hi,
> I'm with you. This is the single most annoying regression I've ever seen in
> Wine. As  this seems to be top-priority anyway, it's one of the best
> possible SOC candidates (this and a DIB engine), given that most regular
> devs that might be able to fix the regression don't seem all too motivated
> to really touch that issue. Who cares if games take a slight performance
> hit, if a fix would unbreak lots and lots of applications that used to work
> - an acceptable tradeoff, IMHO...
If you are talking about the pbuffer way, and I understand this correctly,
then this wouldn't be a slight hit, but a major performance loss. I think the
solution would be to render to an offscreen texture. This would mean to copy
the rendered image back to main memory, copying it through the cpu and then
sending it back to the card. For a 1024x768x32 image this are 3 megabytes per
frame.

The current directdraw code handles it this way for windowed direct3d
rendering. I can get about 20 fps with moto racer 2 in windoed mode at
512x384 on my radeon mobility M9. If the game wouldn't cap the speed at
35fps, I'd expect it to achieve 200fps on the same hardware(it's a very old
Direct3d1 game).

For fullscreen mode we could still use the normal rendering way, but windowed
apps still wouldn't work very well.