Questions about Wine

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Thu Apr 27 09:33:27 CDT 2006

ethereal at centrum.cz wrote:

>Hi!
>I have a question and some reminds about Wine.
>
>1.) When it will be all applications and games supported on 100% ?

Never. Even Microsoft can't achieve 100% for new versions of Windows and
they have their source code.

>2.) Why wine doesn't accept my own config at all?

I don't know. What are you specifying and where?

>3.) Add more options to Winecfg. It will be fine and welcomed.

Why? If things are autodetected and set up automatically and just work,
surely that is better?

>4.) I have small fonts in some apps (size about 4 and it has curious look)

Wine uses fonts from your distro. It can sometimes pick inappropriate
ones though. The best way of fixing this is to install the webfonts from
Microsoft.

>5.) Wine doesn't link new installed apps to my desktop and "start menu"

CrossOver Office has over 12,000 lines of Perl code to deal with the
complex problem of integration with the desktop in this way. Wine has
support for one or two standards of creating menus and desktop links. If
you can code, you should add support for your window manager standard to
winemenubuilder, otherwise you could just advocate for all of the
distros and desktop environments to standardise on one way of adding
menus, links and associations.

--
Rob Shearman