Tahoma font

Louis Lenders xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 16:45:16 CDT 2006

Brian Vincent <brian.vincent <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/27/06, Louis. Lenders <xerox_xerox2000 <at> yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi, next week i have quite some (travel)time i have
> >  to kill, so i thought maybe i could use the time to
> > add tahoma font to wine (needed for Steam).  I played
> >  around a bit with fontforge and a basically i think
> >  i get how to create fonts, and add them to wine.
> >  However, i'm not sure what the legal way is to do
> >  this; if i import the windows Tahoma.TTF into
> >  fontforge it seems the .sfd is already generated but
> >  i guess it's not legal to add that to wine. Anyone
> >  could help me with a quick (and clear) HOWTO ?
>
> 1.  What happened to the ROS version of Tahoma?

I didn't know they had one. Could someone ask if it exists (and could be merged)

> 2.  Anyone know the legal ramifications of tracing glyphs?  It's
> alluded to on fontforge's web page.

Good question :)

> 3.  Why not look for a replacement someone else has already done and
> ask permission for usage?

As far as i understand up to now Wine's (eventual) Tahoma font should be more or
less identical to Windows Tahoma font. I don't think anyone has ever taken the
effort to create a font that looks (exactly) the same as Windows Tahoma, because
(outside wine )that doesn't really make sense , does it