sfd2ttf

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 28 04:46:48 CDT 2006

"Markus Amsler" <markus.amsler at oribi.org> wrote:

> Here's a first version of an sfd2ttf tool based on fontforge-20051205.
> You can dwonload it from [1].

Did you run 'make test' in the dlls/gdi directory to see that font metrics
of the generated bitmap fonts match the windows ones? fontforge earlier
than beginning of 2006 had a bug which led to wrong bitmap font metrics,
so you may consider to use more recent sources.

> It consists of 5 files (with Makefile) and has a size of 500K. There's
> still some dead code lying around, I think I can bring it down to
> 300K-400K. Is this acceptable?

IMHO that's too much. Even 100K would be.

> SFD reading was quite easy, the code was well seperated.
> TTF generation was a bit harder. I decided to output TrueType, with
> bitmap tables from OpenType. The others ttf variations (full OpenType or
> even aat (Apple Advanced Typography)) are not supported, as it would
> make the tool a lot bigger (factor 2-5 or so) and i believe it's not
> needed (right?).

Did you test that .ttf fonts generated with your tool are properly
handled by freetype and Wine's sfnt2fnt?

--
Dmitry.