sfd2ttf

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Apr 28 07:24:19 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 18:46 +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> > It consists of 5 files (with Makefile) and has a size of 500K.
> There's
> > still some dead code lying around, I think I can bring it down to
> > 300K-400K. Is this acceptable?
>
> IMHO that's too much. Even 100K would be.

I agree, this is a _lot_ of code for what? It's not like we can
make heads or tails of the diffs for fonts anyway. I agree that
is good not to have binary files in CVS, but these are binary
files that are cross platform, need not be rebuild by users, etc.

We are paying a hefty price for this -- only the discussions up
to this point counted for probably tens of precious developer hours,
not to mention the hundred of hours of user frustration.

In fact, these 'noarch' binary files in CVS are not such a big deal.
It turns out that every Java project is checking in 3rd party jars
without one single negative side effect. Font files are just like
.jar files. Lets just commit them and be done with it.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.