DDraw, wined3d (d3d8, d3d9) and OpenGL32 in Mac OSX + stack fudging -- x86 only

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Apr 30 06:32:49 CDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:46:33 -0700, Nick Burns wrote:
> OpenGL dynamic loading
>       -- Mac OSX does not need to dlsym every ogl entry point -- it handles
> that for you...

Hmm, well so do Windows and Linux ;) I think it's done that way because
some of the GL functions are introduced in later versions of OpenGL so we
need to test for them at runtime.

> Stack fudging
>       -- mac requires 16 byte aligned stack windows does not
>       -- this leads to illegal instructions (aligned wrongly)

This is an Intel Mac right?! Intel chips have never required alignment as
far as I know, though it can help performance.

> GLX Root Window
>       -- Wine uses the fact that a root window exists in x11 in many
> places...
>       -- But no one wants to run the x11 root window on their mac (what the
> b&w checkerz are ugly?)

What stops you fixing the Mac X server to, well, not suck? I don't see why
you need to hack Wine to fix this.

thanks -mike