Time to commit remote ops for VirtualAllocEx, CreateRemoteThread

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 6 02:04:51 CDT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:

> On 8/5/06, Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> I was talking (at least) about VirtualQueryEx, which should be also
>> implemented. All the debuggers use it for memory inspection.
>

> FWIW, an implementation for Linux was posted at
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2002-July/007482.html
> Perhaps some of that code could be reused.

I sure know of the patch, as I wrote it ;-)

the issues with it are:
- the exact information we get via the remote interface is not the same
as the program itself would get when using the local VirtualQuery
function. This includes both the detailed flags from a memory block, but
also the memory block mapped for a unix .so file (the remote ones gives
the information, while the local doesn't)
- portability (one works for Linux)

A+