DirectX can't change Screen depth

Colin Pitrat colin.pitrat at bull.net
Mon Aug 7 07:24:00 CDT 2006

Hello,
I'm maintaining a game named Blip & Blop
(http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=3470), and I have some
problems with color depth. If the X server is configured in 16 bits
colors, it works well, but if it's in 24 or 32 bits, the app display in
black and white, and I've got the following message :
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from
32 to 16

Looking at the source, it seems that changing resolution is not
implemented, and that doesn't surprise me as it doesn't seem to be a
good idea to change X depth to please a wine app (especially if we're
emulating a desktop). But shouldn't the 16 bits output be converted by
wine to 24/32 bits to be displayed. Is it a problem with the way the
game is coded (maybe it should check return code to fall back to another
depth) ?

Regards,
--
Colin Pitrat (Bull Services Telco)