wintrust: Always return ERROR_SUCCESS in WinVerifyTrust [RESEND]

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 13:44:39 CDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Paul Vriens <Paul.Vriens at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> When I run process explorer without tracing/debugging everything is
> fine. As soon as I add +wintrust,+heap it fails again. There is most
> likely some heap corruption somewhere (couldn't be more vague).
>
> Alexandre's patch to add more free list entries only masked the problem,
> as far as I can see from the results.
>
> Cheers and sorry for the misleading remarks,

Can you explain your comment, "Process Explorer expects a correct
implementation" concerning WinVerifyTrust?  When it calls
WinVerifyTrust and we return ERROR_SUCCESS, what does it do with that
information that causes the application to fail?  Even if we took the
time to implement WinVerifyTrust, we would still return ERROR_SUCCESS
and the situation wouldn't be any different.  In the meantime, several
installers are hanging up because of this.

--
James Hawkins