All right, let's solve these .desktop issues forever

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Aug 10 00:34:56 CDT 2006

As of right now, I'd estimate that over half of our users are using Wine
from a terminal window to launch their applications, largely because
their window manager doesn't put Wine's Start Menu entries into their
applications menu.

Wine's been making .desktop files for some time, however it seems like
they're being put in the wrong place.  There's supposedly a proper,
standard place to put them (or there should be), and perhaps a hack can
be put in at the package-maintainer level, but in any case this is a
pretty big usability issue at the moment.

I'm pretty confident that someone here knows the answer to how things
should be, and I'm also pretty sure it's a fairly simple change to make.
Either way, we need to have a discussion about it - what's the next step
here?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie