All right, let's solve these .desktop issues forever

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Aug 10 10:29:05 CDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Jan Zerebecki <jan.wine at zerebecki.de> wrote:
> Why not put a link from ~/.local/share/applications/wine to
> ~/.wine/menu/freedesktop/ and create the .desktop files there?

I like that idea a lot.  But once we create the symlink, there's no
need to change where we create the .desktop files, they'll go
in the right place.

The Portland folks say that xdg-desktop-menu will install the
.desktop file both in ~/.local and in the legacy locations .kde and .gnome.
Wine should probably use xdg-desktop-menu someday to do its
menu installation, but for now, it should probably just add .desktop
entries into ~/.local in addition to where it now puts them.
(Anyone know why it doesn't?)