wininet: Support http_proxy environment variable

Augusto Arcoverde da Rocha agarobr.listas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:44:51 CDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Tobias Burnus <burnus at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Augusto Arcoverde da Rocha wrote:
> > Hummmm...
> >
> > Then a better approach would be avoid environment variables, as this
> > seems to be a Wine development directive, and use the right format for
> > the proxy configuration string.
>
> I disagree. I think it makes sense to support general environment
> variables (such as http_proxy, no_proxy, EDITOR, DISPLAY, USER, HOME,
> BROWSER, etc.). I do agree that it make sense to keep the number of Wine
> specific environment variable low, though.

Yes, it's supported but isn't a standart and has no guaranties to
exists on all architectures as Alexander said in a reply in this list
(I can't remember now).

IMHO, the current password exposition is a ugly thing:
$ export http_proxy=http://user:__>>**password**<<__ at host.dom:8080

I think would be preferable hide the password typing and don't storing
it in a file like system register, maintaining it in the memory only.
Perhaps getting the password altrougt some interactive process which
hide the password.

> Currently, my http_proxy is used by wget, lynx, w3m, Firefox (SUSE
> build, probably not in mozilla.org's build) and some more.
> I thus think it should be also used by Wine.
> (I don't know, whether one should also support a registry string to
> overwrite $http_proxy.)

Storing the password on a file only generates more efforts and
considerations about permissions and security pratices, again IMHO.
But the proxy variables are practically omnipresent indeed.

Regards,
Augusto Arcoverde da Rocha