DIB Engine

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Thu Aug 24 10:12:31 CDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 14:04 schrieb Christoph Frick:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:57:43AM -0700, satyr_22901 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I've recently tried to play Heroes of Might and Magic IV under Wine,
> > which has very poor performance and this message it printed out many,
> > many times after the game is started:
> >
> > fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB
> > copy
>
> assuming that this is the real problem for the poor performance you
> might squeeze quite some speed out if you get rid of the FIXMEs by
> redirecting the output to /dev/null. if there are really _lots_ of
> errors like this it takes quite some time to render them depending on
> your terminal.

The very same problem plagues not only games, but also a few pro audio apps.
And redirecting the output doesn't help at all. Most noticable with Reason,
which is unbelievable slow due to interface redraws. With the main window
minimized, it works like a charm (but is unusable for obvious reasons, being
an audio production app and all that).

Ciao,
Willie

--