FEAR Combat

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 17:11:12 CDT 2006

On 24.08.2006 10:04, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:04:01PM -0500, EA Durbin wrote:
>> Also I've read that managed directx .dlls are supposed to be installed in
>> the global assembly cache folder (C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC), but wine
>> doesn't implement assemblies yet  (Sxs.dll) as outlined in bug 5965.
>
> What you wanted to say is that due to Wine not implementing assemblies
> and/or the GAC directory not existing yet possibly the game installer doesn't
> install these DLLs yet, right?
> Could someone verify whether this is the case? (does the installer package
> contain strings for those DirectX DLLs?)

I don't think this is the case. The d3dx9_XX DLLs aren't managed code,
and they don't belong into any GAC directory anyway, just into plain ol'
windows\system[32].

The problem is probably that a game installer may rely on the DX
redistributable package to install those DLLs. I don't know if that runs
on Wine, but if it doesn't, well, the DLL won't get where it should, too.

-f.r.