Add support for tooltips for system tray icons

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Sat Aug 26 16:59:32 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:00 +0300, Oleg Krylov wrote:
> Next, we need to set tooltip max width, primarily to enable multiline
> tooltips, as several applications relay on this. The code can be, just
> after tooltip creation:
>     SendMessageW (icon->tooltip, TTM_SETMAXTIPWIDTH, 0, 400);
> On windows width value seem to be dependend on system DPI, but I
> haven't found the exact formula yet. 400 is value at the default 96
> dpi, so it may be a good starting point.
Actually, I don't think we need this to make multiline tips work. I made
a small winelib app [1] which demonstrates this. And according to the
Wine headers [2] and my copy of the Platform SDK headers, the max
tooltip length is 128 characters, so doing this wouldn't have much of an
effect. I removed that line from my patch and it didn't seem to have any
effect at all. Are you sure this is absolutely needed?

Thanks,
James

Notes
[1]: http://members.cox.net/~jrliggett/wine/systraytest.tar.gz