What purpose does wineinstall still serve?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Aug 28 07:48:23 CDT 2006

On 8/26/06, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> A while back, we talked about deleting Wine install.  What exactly does
> it do these days, and why do we still have it?

It seems to be designed to avoid problem reports
from people who don't really know what they're doing,
i.e. who don't know what sudo is, who don't realize it's
bad to try installing wine from source if you already
have it installed as a package, who don't have all
the needed packages installed, etc.

Conceivably some of the handholding it does could
be moved into configure and into the Makefile.
That might be a good idea.
- Dan