What purpose does wineinstall still serve?

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:41:24 CDT 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 14:48, Dan Kegel wrote:
> It seems to be designed to avoid problem reports
> from people who don't really know what they're doing,
> i.e. who don't know what sudo is, who don't realize it's
> bad to try installing wine from source if you already
> have it installed as a package, who don't have all
> the needed packages installed, etc.
>
> Conceivably some of the handholding it does could
> be moved into configure and into the Makefile.
> That might be a good idea.

But please make sure to add a "Yes, I know what I'm doing" option. I often
find it useful to have a released version of a piece of software installed
when working on some new features, and my paths are configured accordingly to
support this kind of setup. It would be annoying to have "make install" fail
just because I have a wine-whatever.rpm installed.

I know this feature is intended to make it easier for people to compile wine,
but people who aren't comfortable with this should use precompiled packages.
If there's some patches needed to make a certain game work, why not provide
specialized packages for that? I think there's a package for
ntoskernel.exe/copy protection patches out there, I see no reason we couldn't
do that for other interesting patches. Using the Opensuse build server, this
would be easy.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/