question about selecting of locale and font

Sergei Butakov butsergej at yandex.ru
Wed Aug 30 07:58:19 CDT 2006

Hi

My native language is Russian but I prefer English for menu, messages,
date ... So my locale defined as
     # export LANG="POSIX", LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.CP1251", LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.CP1251"
(LC_ALL is not setted).

With wine-0.9.8 and before this works OK.

With wine-0.9.9 appear disadvantages: built-in font become serif (before was
sans), smaller in height and ugly (it's look like hinting is bad); widgets
(windows, buttons, ...) also become smaller in height about 20%.

With wine-0.9.10 (and till now - 0.9.20) appear one more disadvantage: when
application use System (built-in) font, then wine select Western type (not
Cyrillic). So Russian output is corrupted. All became correct if I run as
	$ LC_ALL=ru_RU.CP1251 wine some_program
but I want menu on English.

In that time input work correctly - which Russian key is pressed that
corresponding code is getted by Wine.
--------------
So, is it ability of using for menu (, pop-up windows, ...) not native
language is removed by developers specially and now the only right way to run
Wine is "LC_ALL=my_locale wine some_program"? Or there are bugs in Wine?

If the first answer is "yes" then it's very regrettably.
(BTW if I run
	$ LC_ALL=ru_RU.CP1251 wine wordpad
then in editor place all output is corrupted - no Russian,no English, no
numerals, rightly work only "Enter". Is it trouble with richedit?
If I run
	$ wine wordpad
then don't work output for Russian letters only.)

If the second  is "yes" then I can write more detailed.

--
Sergei Butakov