audio glitch patch by mike hearn

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 01:40:12 CST 2006

> Ahhh perfect! Send it over! How would i run it as pam though? And an
> additional question: Would this speedup alsa too? as I finally got alsa's
> oss emulation to work with wine which is much much faster :S

PAM is a sysadmin tool that can (among other things) control resource limits
for various users/groups. I'm not exactly sure which version, but later
versions allow you to set rtprio limits for users (not to be confused
with 'priority', which isn't what you want). An example line
for /etc/security/limits.conf would be:

<name>  -  rtprio  1

The patch currently only utilizes a value of 1, so you don't need anything
higher. Also, make sure /etc/pam.d/login has this:

session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

After making the changes, restart the user login session. Assuming all went
well, applications can now set a real-time priority level of 1, if run by the
named user/group. Then apply this simple patch to Wine:

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/wine_thread_prio.diff (~2.5K)

..rebuild, and enjoy. :)