Wine performance (opengl)

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sat Dec 9 16:53:03 CST 2006

> Hi,
>
> I am using wine to play World of warcraft (this game is using opengl, and
> is
> threaded - 2/3 threads IIRC). I did recently find a reproductable
> performance regression on versions 0.9.24+.
>
> Under the same conditions (always difficult to get in an MMORPG game, but
> this is reproductible), version 0.9.23 gives me 20/25% more FPS than
> versions 0.9.24->0.9.26 (have not tried .27 yet).
>
> - Is this performance regression known/expected on opengl/threaded
> applications (new codebase) ?
> - Is someone using WOW here (and has found a similar preformance
> regression)
> ?
> - It is worth for me to start looking at it (more measures, throw oprofile
> at it, bissect the change...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norbert

I have done lots of OpenGL work lately. I have mainly moved some code from opengl32.dll over to gdi32.dll and winex11.drv. I don't think I have done anything heavy between 0.9.23 and 0.9.24 which might have killed performance. A regression test could be usefull. Are you sure that the regression didn't happen between lets say 0.9.24 and 0.9.25? In there I changed the location of the DisabledExtensions registry key from hkey_local_machine to hkey_current_user. When you disabled VBOs using this extension you could gain more performance on some videocards+drivers. I guess that you are seeing this.

Regards,
Roderick