winemenubuilder: Write truecolor icons as PNGs

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:48:37 CST 2006

On 06.12.2006 20:01, Francois Gouget wrote:
> The thing that blocked this patch from being applied last time is that,
> if I remember correctly, Alexandre would like the PNG functionality to
> be added to the IPicture implementation in dlls/oleaut32/olepicture.c.
> Then winemenubuilder would use this interface to save the icon into the
> proper format.
>
> It's easy to see where the code should go to extend this interface to
> support loading PNG files as it already supports loading Gif and Jpeg
> files. However I'm fuzzy on how one would use this interface to specify
> the format to use for saving. Maybe by defining Wine-specific
> PICTYPE_XXX values? But that would not work on Windows...

Looking at IPicture, it just doesn't seem to be made for conversions.
You can save an image in the "original format", but that's about it for
image format support. Using IPicture to write a PNG seems like trying to
fit a square peg into a round hole. Ideas like abusing PICTTYPE don't
help to relieve that feeling.

-f.r.