WineLib porting project for small Windows application

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Dec 22 15:58:09 CST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 03:34:26PM -0500, Eric Rhodes wrote:
> Hi Wine developers,
>
> My name is Eric Rhodes and I work for Schmap, Inc. (www.schmap.com).
>
> I'm posting this message to find out if any of you would be
> interested in working with us on a Mac "porting" project for a small
> Windows application (using Wine). A full project description is set
> forth below.

Since you mention that it is a "small" application it may be suitable
to simply do a direct cross-platform port (Mac, Linux, Windows, handheld,
others) via wxWidgets (just in case you haven't considered that yet).
However this would be quite easy only in case of the app being written
in MFC, since wxWidgets is *very* similar to MFC (it's very similar
to the point of merely requiring a scripted API name string replacement
in several code areas!) and thus other Win32 programming methods
(raw Win32, Borland, ...) would face more issues during porting.

Having said that I'm quite sure that a WineLib port is less of a pain
than having to touch the whole source code in a wx port,
and development work should be at least as comfortable, and due to
source code availability you should be able to directly interface with
Mac OS functionality on WineLib, too.

Thank you very much for your offer/query, it's very much appreciated
to have these kinds of queries on this list!

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Mohr