dx9 and shaders

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Thu Feb 2 14:52:44 CST 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 21:26, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> There's some initial shader stuff in wine but not sure how well it works. I
> don't know what the status on it is as we haven't heard anything from the
> guy who was working on this. He was also working on moving the d3d8 code
> over to wined3d. If you have time to help out, all help is usefull :)
> One of the usefull things to do before starting to hack on shaders is to
> finish the d3d8/d3d9 merge as both can then share the same shader code.

I have experimented a bit with oliver's d3d8 code. Initially I tried to merge
portions of it in d3d8 but after some time it seemed to be too difficult as
lots of parts need big changes. In the end I used his whole d3d8 dll (the
patch for the d3d8 itself looked quite clean) I then added a few changes to
the current wined3d to get it working and it works quite well. I tried lots
of d3d8 demos from codesamples.com and most work except for the ones which
use shaders. Roughly the same for the demos from the dx8.1 sdk except some of
those fail because they can't detect some hw features (hw bumpmapping..) or
they crash because of our buggy dmusic.dll. I don't have much games here, I
tried the demo of warcraft 3 and it working (although with drawing errors)
but performance looked a lot faster (the drawing errors contribute for a
small portion to the performance improvement I think).

I made a patch against wine 0.9.7 which can be found here:
http://roderick.student.utwente.nl/d3d8.tar.gz. The patch contains small
diffs of all files and a file containing all diffs in one file. All people
who want to work on d3d8 can use this as a starting point.

It might even be a good idea to merge this patch into cvs although it will
break things. Basicly it exposes bugs in wined3d which need to be fixed.

Roderick