game "Knights and Merchants" deadlocks

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Sat Feb 4 05:27:17 CST 2006

Hello,

I have this question: I have a game called "Knights and Merchants" which
  I sometimes play; I find it deadlocks each time after playing for an
hour or so
it seems it isn't a complete deadlock, sometimes some of sound comes
through between intervals of minutes or so; harddisk activity seems
extreme - the light is burning constantly.
I then usually decide to kill the program; as it opens fullscreen I
can't get to the xterm that launched it, so I try to get to a console;
The system is so slow that it takes some time to get to a console
<ctrl-alt-f1>, and login in may time out a few times before finaly
getting in (the cure to that one is simple: login before starting the
game...) - then it takes another minute or so to run ps and kill the
wine process

is there a way to find what is causing the deadlock? I can log the
output wine gives using `script`, but as deadlocks only occur after a
lot of time running the game with lots of logging active would be a pain

will log the output at least next time I play; for now, has somebody
ideas how to log without getting major slowdown (otherwise there's no
playing in it)?

thanks,

Joris