Help with window basics needed

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Feb 5 13:04:24 CST 2006

Hello,
I have a small struggle with window properties and activation. The situation
is this:

Half-life 1 has 2 different windows when in D3D or DDraw mode: A focus window
and a window to display the output(device window). I have to make sure that
the focus window gets the keyboard focus, while the device window stays on
top to display the d3d output.

On initialization hl tells ddraw the hwnd of the focus window(with
SetCooperativeLevel and DDSCL_SETFOCUSWINDOW), then it requests ddraw to
create a device window (DDSCL_CREATEDEVICEWINDOW), so the device window is
under the control of ddraw, it has it's own wndproc which I can change. Then
it starts drawing to the screen, the hl console appears. Then it sets the
focus to the focus window and the d3d output isn't drawn any more. When I run
in managed mode, I can switch between the 2 windows and eighter see the
output or have keyboard input.

Now my question is: What is the best way to make sure that the device window
stays on top, while the focus window receives keyboard input? It would be
nice if it was still possible to switch to a third window and have both ddraw
windows disappear.
I can change the window properties of both windows, and in this case I code
the wndproc of the device window.

I have tried to set WS_EX_TOPMOST on the device window, and to show it with
SW_SHOWNOACTIVATE if it is deactivated, but that didn't work.

Thanks for your help,
Stefan