Somewhat disappointing experiences with Winelib and WTL

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Feb 8 17:11:02 CST 2006

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 05:08:28 +0100, Claus Fischer wrote:
> Over the last few days, I have been trying to find out whether
> the combination of WTL and Winelib could be a promising
> inter-platform GUI solution.

It's not - Win32 in general could never be described as "promising" no
matter what libraries you wrap it with. Wine is best used for porting and
compatibility rather than new app development. Libraries like GTK or Qt
are far better

> The goal is to combine WTL/ATL (no COM) with Winelib to create a
> Linux-application with the same look and feel and roughly the same
> qualities: no DLL's, shared libraries, C++ ABI hassles, etc. Just one
> binary linked to libc.

Your *actual* goal is described here - you want a program that is free of
dependency hell. A noble goal indeed, but the right way to do this is to
investigate things like autopackage, ELF statifier, and so on. And also to
accept that a program with no dependencies is perhaps not so useful after
all. For instance, you can probably find GTK+ 2.2 or higher on everybodies
system these days.

thanks -mike