Direct3D Z order question

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Feb 12 03:10:22 CST 2006

Hi,

> Err reading your e-mail again, pardon my directx ignorance, but aren't
> all d3d z values supposed to be in the [0.0, 1.0] range? I thought that
> was the range for the z buffer. I recall reading that one of the main
> annoyance differences between OpenGL and D3D was OpenGL used [-1.0, 1.0]
> for depth and D3D used [0.0, 1.0].

You could be right, I have to do some more checks. But the Half-Life problem
could be caused by a bug in my ProcessVertices implementation. I interpreted
the results I got from windows and blindy implemented the viewport
conversation, and it seems that there are conflicts between my conversation
and the GL viewport setup.

However, the triangle problem remains. I have changed the code to use z=0.1
for the red triangle and z=0.9 for the blue one, and the blue triangle still
overlaps the red one on Windows. If I change the Z values, the result is
unchanged.