Mozilla ActiveX download busted?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Feb 21 13:25:49 CST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Robert Shearman wrote:
[...]

> Andreas Mohr wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 06:26:16PM +0100, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
>>
>>> Wine doesn't accept to run files that don't end with .exe even if they
>>> are valid win32 binaries.
[...]
> The fix looks good to me, provided that the extension is only added if it
> doesn't already have one. I don't think it is that unreasonable to expect an
> executable to have a .exe extension.

I'm ok with the patch itself: if we download an executable it's a good
thing to give it a .exe extension to give a hint so the user who later
wonders what this file is.

However CreateProcess() should really not care about the file extension.
Testing on Windows 2003ES shows that ren foo.exe foo,
CreateProcess("foo") works just fine.

            Demander si un ordinateur peut penser revient à demander
                           si un sous-marin peut nager.