Idea for reducing the number of duplicate bugs

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:24:36 CST 2006

Hi guys, I just wanted to share an idea I just had that could reduce the
number of duplicate bugs and ones that have a workaround in the appdb.  Many
people dont read the documentation, as much as we ask them to, so why dont
we, on several pages throughout the website put something that is fairly
noticable saying to check the appdb for a workaround/fix before posting a
problem to bugzilla, or any of the mailing lists?  I think the most helpful
places, if we agree to do this, would be the main wine page, the main
bugzilla page, the bug submit page, and the main mailing list page..
Something like <h2><font color=red>Please check the AppDB to see if there is
a workaround for a problem you are encountering with a specific
program.</font></h2> should work for all but the main bug submit page, and
there we should put javascript:alert('Please check the AppDB to see if there
is a workaround for a problem you are encountering with a specific
program.'); into the body so that it shows each time they load the page..
Maybe we could make is a question pop up when they hit the submit button
instead, and if thye hit yes, then it submits the bug, if not, it either
redirects them to the appdb, or back to the bug submit page.

Hopefully most of you will agree and it will get put in.

Tom