DirectX 8 test: Gothic 2 on wine

Olaf Leidinger leidola at newcon.de
Sat Feb 25 08:07:15 CST 2006

Hello again!

> > Gothic2 seems to start working with wine. Well - as long as you disable
> > sound in system/gothic.ini.
> Looks like it's an DirectDraw / Direct3D7 game. Another game on my list ;)

Oh, sorry... my mistake!

> >  - most textures are missing
> Happens to a few games, but you're lucky that you can see the colors. In
> prince of persia 3D it's eighter 100% black or 100% white.
>
> >  - everything is really dark (I have to set gamma to 2.5 (via xgamma -gamma
> > 2.5) ) - fonts are missing/crippled
> The gamma problem is known from Diablo 2

Is this a new problem? It used to work very well for me ;-)

> The fonts could be broken because the font files aren't installed correctly,
> but that's just a wild guess.

Hmmm... I can't see any font files in the directory. But I'll install it on win32 and compare.

> > I took some pictures and put it together with a log on a simple webpage.
> > Please have a look at
> How is the game's performance with the fglrx driver?

After loading (which is (much?) faster on win32) the performance is okay - well, it doesn't flicker.  But I guess it'll be slower with more textures, won't it?

Ciao,

Olaf