winecfg: Problems with audio configuration

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Jan 2 17:07:25 CST 2006

Monday, January 2, 2006, 2:55:38 PM, Robert Reif wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

>>I have noticed significant increase in crashes and lockups in winecfg's
>>audio page. Could we do something about that before the next release?
>>
> I agree with you but can you be more specific?

I'm afraid I can't. It all works here. But all the reports I get from
people on #winehq don't have that much details.
I had one person who had winecfg crash each time he went to audio tab.
Installing arts & esd didn't help - same result. It was a pre-compiled
binaries.

If such a crash would happen what would you be interested in? (what debug
channels, system information, etc.?)

>>This makes it hard for any first timer to configure wine. Especially
>>knowing that most people will have to change hardware acceleration to
>>"emulation" and they will not be able to do so.
>>
> This is a good example of a workaround for a broken driver, soundcard,
> or driver/soundcard configuration.  The same is also true for Windows
> where this same workaround works the same way there for broken
> drivers.

Well I'm not sure how about other configurations, but on mine I can not
set it to anything else with any driver I have. My system is nForce 2
with ALSA HW drivers.