winecfg: Problems with audio configuration

Tom Spear (aka Dustin Navea) speeddymon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 01:32:11 CST 2006

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

>Monday, January 2, 2006, 2:55:38 PM, Robert Reif wrote:
>

>>Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>>

>>>I have noticed significant increase in crashes and lockups in winecfg's
>>>audio page. Could we do something about that before the next release?
>>>

>>I agree with you but can you be more specific?
>>

>I'm afraid I can't. It all works here. But all the reports I get from
>people on #winehq don't have that much details.
>I had one person who had winecfg crash each time he went to audio tab.
>Installing arts & esd didn't help - same result. It was a pre-compiled
>binaries.

Vitaliy, in the circumstance of pre-compiled binaries I know, at least
for me, that the last time I tried using them, they didnt work..  This
was back in 2002, and I was using Mandrake at the time, using their
precompiled binaries that came with the latest release.  It crashed
running _anything_..  But once I removed that and got source, it worked
fine..  So if a user is having a problem with precompiled binaries,
check what distro it is the user is using,  and if it is one that is
known to add their own code to their binaries (like Mandrake), ask them
to se fi the same happens from source.  Now I know we already did that,
and I just stated the obvious, but I just think I should make it known
that several distro's add code to wine that cause it to not work on some
of their users' machines..

The above is why I personally unless, I am forced to do otherwise,
always download and compile from source, well that and the fact that I
now use Slackware.. lol

Tom