issues compiling ReactOS newdev on wine

Boaz Harrosh wine at electrozaur.com
Tue Jan 3 03:14:54 CST 2006

Mike McCormack wrote:

>> Secondly, what the whole story with WCHARs? Why do
>> L"Unicode string" type strings work in wine apps but
>> not in winelibs?
>
> Some compilers do not support L"string".  Older versions of gcc assume
> a wide character is 32 bytes, not 16.  For compatibility with those
> older compilers, we are restricted to using array initializers for
> WCHAR strings.

In my opinion this is most unfortunate.
1. These Older versions of ... are none existent. I have never actually
encountered them. Say I, some one that has one actually used.
2. It should take 10 minutes to write a Perl (/pick your script) script
that pre-parses the code and changes any occurrence of above to arrays.
And if it is slower than the user can take the time and do 3.
3. If a supported platform is identified that absolutely does not
support compilation of 16-bit chars. We can make available gcc patches
that do.
4. ./configure should check for it and add the proper make magic
5. winegcc since it was compiled with the same compiler can make it all
automatic.

But in no way do I see why we have to throw away good code for bad one.
Why do a compiler job?

Free Life
Boaz