What operating systems will Winelib run on non-x86 systems?

Eric Frias efrias at syncad.com
Tue Jan 3 12:45:31 CST 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:

>Hi Wei Li,
>

>>I could not find the info regarding what operating systems > (such as AIX 5L v5.2, HP-UX 11i, Solaris Release Level > 9) will Winelib run on non-x86 machines.
>>
>There's no reason in principle it couldn't run on AIX or HP/UX.
>Some work has been done on an HP/UX port, but some
>assembly would be required to complete it:
>http://www.winehq.com/site/?issue=241#HP-UX%20Port

We actually managed to get HPUX (on PA-RISC) working reasonably well
early last year.  We didn't attempt porting a few of the parts I
considered optional, like winedbg, oleaut32, and opengl.  Still, it ran
some pretty significant applications (i.e., mine :-) very well.

The assembly code generated for HPUX is a bit different from the other
platforms, and all of the ifdefs in winebuild were getting pretty hard
to follow.  I'm hoping the recent changes to winebuild will make it
easier to integrate, whenever I get around to updating...  Until that
happens, if anyone needs HPUX winelib, I'll be happy to send a tar of my
working copy.  It works on HPUX 11 and 11i, and maybe others.

The Sparc Solaris version of winelib we use works on at least Solaris 7,
8, and 9.  It was working on Solaris 2.6 at one point, but we no longer
have a machine that old to test on.

Eric