Invisible fonts - unimplemented SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHINGTYPE

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu Jan 5 03:49:41 CST 2006

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Peter Åstrand wrote:

> I'm trying to get the application "Nya Multigram"
> (http://www.softogram.se/multigramkunskapsbanken.html) running in Wine. It
> works somewhat, but the initial screen (which should look like
> http://www.softogram.se/grafik/multigramkunskapsbanken/mgkbscreenshot4.jpg)
> doesn't have any text. The buttons are rendered very slowly, and this error

After some more investigations, it seems like this is a GDI+ problem. I've
tried a very simple GDI+ demo
(http://www.codeproject.com/vcpp/gdiplus/gdi__and_mfc.asp), which draws a
line, ellipse and a rectangle. The, I added this text output, copied
directly from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdicpp/GDIPlus/usingGDIPlus/usingtextandfonts/drawingtext.asp:

 	FontFamily  fontFamily(L"Times New Roman");
 	Font        font(&fontFamily, 24, FontStyleRegular, UnitPixel);
 	PointF      pointF(30.0f, 10.0f);
 	SolidBrush  solidBrush(Color(255, 0, 0, 255));

 	graphics.DrawString(L"Hello", -1, &font, pointF, &solidBrush);

This works perfectly in Windows, but with Wine, no text appears! See
screnshot http://www.cendio.se/~peter/tmp/gdiplus-windows.png versus
http://www.cendio.se/~peter/tmp/gdiplus-wine.png.

It seems very strange to me that such a basic concept like drawing a
string with GDI+ doesn't work with Wine. Isn't this a common task?

Regards,
--
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio			www.cendio.se