daily winetest generation

Paul Millar paul at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jan 6 04:39:32 CST 2006

On Friday 06 Jan 2006 01:29, Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> I may perfectly repeat someones else question, but why in the world
> winetest-200YmmDD1000-paul-mingw.exe files aren't being generated if the
> patches arrives too late during partical day?
>
> I think compiled EXEs should be released regardless of their generation
> date.  No?

The current way it works was the concensus decision a little while back.

Personally, I'd prefer building winetest.exe as part of WRT (auto regression
testing based on CVS commits).  WRT builds winetest.exe anyway (in fact, all
the DLLs and EXEs it can), but the results are not registered, so no one sees
them.

However, dealing with asynchronous updates was thought both too difficult and
not necessary so we have the synchronous once-a-day builds.  I'm maintaining
a separate cron-triggered build process, although it still uses a fair bit of
WRT for this.  This causes the occasional headaches, but its working pretty
well now [*].

The winetest infrastructure was originally designed to work with once-a-day
releases, although I'm not sure if that restriction is used within the code.
Changing it to work with potentially more frequent releases might require no
extra work, or a fair bit.

In favour of the status quo:  it works, its simple, you have to wait (at most)
one day [*] and there's no need to change any of the winetest/winrash/..
infrastructure.

In favour of change: faster turn-around (and would make my life a bit
simpler :^)

Cheers,

Paul.

BTW, the timing of the builds is somewhat anachronistic.  It was based on the
time when Alexandre was over in California (IIRC), so it was a reasonable bet
that he wasn't committing code at 10am GMT (2am PST; OK, maybe not that safe
a bet).  These days it isn't so clear-cut (committing code at 11am EST is
possible ;-), so perhaps the time should be revised?

[*] (this is assuming wine hasn't "broken" the cross-compilation that MinGW
provides, that is :-)