Please read: Wine(HQ) needs a reorganization (AppDB, Bugzilla, etc.)

Jonathan Ernst jonathan at ernstfamily.ch
Mon Jan 9 09:11:01 CST 2006

Le lundi 09 janvier 2006 à 15:47 +0100, S. Schauenburg a écrit :
> On IRC we started a chat on #WineHQ and discussed how to improve Wine.
> There were comments made and I wanted to summarize them and ask for
> your opinion.
> By the way: Who is in charge of WineHQ, AppDB etc.? A list of people
> who are responsible for that would be nice (it could be I've missed
> that one though).
>
> Back onto the main topic. Remarks made:
> 1. AppDB needs a revamp. Maybe drop the maintainers (those things just
> need to be set by developers only). Just have a look at the activity
> of all the maintainers in the last year. **Read on for suggestions to
> drop the AppDB.

I don't know why you are thinking maintainers should be developers only.
Maintainers are quite active on the AppDB. And new features (like send
test result) are making the job of the maintainers even more easy.

> 2. Create a Wine forum. This solves the problem of users asking the
> same questions over and over again. Here also the "comments" of the
> AppDB could be centralized (because most of them aren't really
> comments)
> 3. With a forum in place, the user-mailing list could be dropped and
> maybe also even the devel-mailing list.

A mailing list has many advantages over a forum (readable from any nntp
client, etc.).

> 4. Create a Wine Wiki, instead of the AppDB. Only certain developers
> (or maybe users) can set/edit certain pages. Then also howto's could
> be inserted here.

There are already two Wine Wiki:

http://wiki.winehq.org (official, developper centric)
http://wine-wiki.org/ (more user oriented)

As of dropping the AppDB, I don't see the point ? The AppDB might be
improved but it's a lot more efficient than a simple wiki to track
applications. You can track the bugs linked to a particular application,
get an e-mail each time someone adds something to an application of
interest, ...

> 5. It's too difficult for users to add a bugreport. Either create a
> small program/app which does it for the user (like "Submit this
> bugreport" *click*) and you're done. The other option is to create a
> simplified method for searching and inserting a bug report, because
> from a users view, there are too many options. (and probably the user
> wouldn't even know what to click on. Don't forget to give the users
> the option to 'add' a file with certain 'debug channels' (which ones?
> only +seh?)

The bug reporting tool used by Wine is the same used by most Opensource
projects (bugzilla). I don't think this tool is too much complicated but
if it is, it must be fixed upstream.

Dan Kegel has a nice page on how to do QA for Wine though:
http://www.kegel.com/wine/qa/

The integration of this page in WineHQ or in the Wiki has been discussed
on this mailing list.

Jonathan