winecfg: Problems with audio configuration

Belxjander Serechai belxjander_serechai at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 4 10:27:59 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 19:23 -0700, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Monday, January 2, 2006, 6:18:11 PM, Jesse Allen wrote:
> > On 1/2/06, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm the one having complete lockups with wineoss.drv.  I also have the
> >> nforce2 sound chip (snd_intel8x0), but I use it as a secondary device.
> >>   I actually use cmi 8738 (snd_cmipci) for most everything.  I will
> >> disable snd_intel8x0 and switch back to wineoss.drv to see what
> >> happens.
>
> > The problem is with snd_cmipci.  Furthermore I get a gpf when
> > rmmoding.  So I have something else to go by now without resorting to
> Yeah that's fun I've seen something like that crashing kernel 8-[ ]
>
> > the winecfg hard lockup.  This is probably a kernel regression so I
> > will track it down.  You can ask the others having a lockup with the
> > winecfg what sound drivers are loaded into the kernel too.
> Yeah we should at least print to the console and flush buffers before
> opening next driver. This will give as at least some info if we get hard
> lockup.
>
> > snd_intel8x0 seems fine, so actually, you are ok too then.
> Oh good <g>
>
> Vitaliy

Externally to Wine I came across a similar "page fault" issue...
that turned out to be an alsa versioning issue by appearance

using Kernel 2.6.15rc7 with "alsa-driver" package for SourceMage
  (source build from alsa-driver-1.0.10.tar.bz2 archive)

I kept getting a repetitive "free_hot_cold_page()" call message in the
  kernel messages queue I simply removed the alsa-driver package
  and updated my kernel build with a clean build enabling
  intel8x0+intel8x0m drivers from the kernel instead...

maybe some alsa internal changes are being reflected to outside
  the kernel,  Im not totally sure if this is relevant

Hopefully there is something there and not just some random bug