Valgrind and wine (was: re: Bug 4289: Debugging and dissasembly)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Jan 14 10:47:34 CST 2006

Rob wrote:
>This very much looks like a use-after-free bug. The first two
>instructions are probably a COM *_Release call. Judging by the fact that
>this is a regression I would also guess that it is a Wine object.

This sounds like a job for valgrind!

But, er, does valgrind still work with wine?  Rob said it did in March:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2005/03/0397.html
It was too hard for one guy back in July:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2005/07/0401.html
but that was probably because he didn't see Rob's message from March.
Maybe we need to put better instructions on how to use
Valgrind with Wine on winehq.org... or, dare I suggest it,
bundle valgrind with Wine so anybody could easily use it
be setting WINEDEBUG=+valgrind or something like that...
- Dan