[wined3d] Status update: Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 10:55:11 CST 2006

Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger <at> gmx.at> writes:

> The problem is that we are doing a lot of redundant work here. Oliver is
> working in d3d8, I'm working on ddraw, and you are working on moving all of
> them to wgl. At least your work on ddraw and d3d8 would be for nothing in the
> long term, and could be avoided with a better cooperation.

I'm fine with my ddraw and d3d8 stuff being thrown away in the future.  I
personally see it as a temporary fix to prevent regressions while ddraw and d3d8
are ported to wined3d.  The real majority of work was in wined3d anyways, so it
was just a matter of wash-rinse-repeat with dddraw and d3d8.  It's just the
testing that is a pain :)

> One way would be to remove all WineD3D dependancy from today's ddraw and d3d8,
> so they remain untouched until Oliver and I replace them. But if ddraw is
> really affected by changes to WineD3D, allthough it shouldn't to my
> knowledge, this might be a more subtile problem.

As I sent you off-list, 3DMark2001SE makes initial capability queries with
ddraw, then uses d3d8 for everything else.  I assume a similar thing could occur
for d3d9 apps, so there really is no way we can guarantee a separation between
ddraw/d3d8 and wined3d as far as I can tell.  So it's gonna be all wgl or
nothing if we don't want a lot of regressions.

> How about creating a temponary fork of the whole tree, so we can submit all
> our patches there without breaking wine. There's no need for this tree to
> work for any game at first, so broken patches are no problem. Once our
> patches coexist nicely, we can introduce them to main cvs.
> (The danger is, of course, that the differences take overhand and the forking
> can't be undone any more)
>
> What do you think about this?

It's a lot of extra work for nothing really.  There should be minimal conflicts
with my patches and whatever you guys are working on.  The only exception would
be if you added or changes glX code.  Even in the case of a conflict, it should
be a trivial merge since wgl and glX are so similar.

I'm willing to do the merge myself if you expect the ddraw and d3d8 code to be
submitted soon, otherwise I'll just submit my wgl stuff and leave it up to you
and Olvier to merge your patches.

Anyways, I'm still bug hunting so I won't be submitting very soon.  So hurry up
with ddraw and d3d8! ;)

Regards,
  Aric