Please read: Wine(HQ) needs a reorganization (AppDB, Bugzilla, etc.)

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:18:52 CST 2006

Joseph Garvin <k04jg02 <at> kzoo.edu> writes:

> I actually prefer forums because there's less of a barrier to get
> started. I can continue working through my browser, and I don't have to
> setup a message filter.

I don't have external mail or nntp access at work, so I just use
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel

For the most part this operates very similar to any of the forums I regularly
visit.  There are a couple of qwerks, but all in all very easy to use for the
non-NNTP users out there.  If it wasn't for this site I'd never be able to
procrastinate in the office ;)

> Even if there's not a forum where developers participate, but just a
> forum on winehq for users to help each other, I think that would be much
> better than no forum. More users have experience with forums than
> mailing lists, so it's much more likely they'll sign up.

A user forum might be useful.  I'd have to admit there are a lot of new users
who seem to easily manage to find Linux forums.  I see this often on Rage3D's
Linux forums as well as Ubuntu and Gentoo forums.

The problem is that there are already well-established wine forums, currently in
mailing list format, and they will never go away.  So the most likely solution
would be a web-nntp gateway, which is exactly what news.gmane.org is.  Whether
wine decides to host's its own gateway software or not I would leave up to the
winehq admins.

- Aric