GIT rebase changes

Eric POUECH eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 18 10:47:38 CST 2006

why don't you guys use stg (stacked git)
it allows you to manage a set of patches, with features like :
- re-edit an existing one (basically, you push/pull a set of patches from a stack, and decide which one to use)
- you get the upside of git, without the down side (ie a commit is done only once) (but you can still commit a patch - in git sense ; but you'll get back Mike's first point about pull/fetch discussion)
- you don't need to rebase (it does it for you)
- you don't need to coalesce patches (as you can reedit an existing one)
- it's compatible with some other tools (like qgit)

basically, I switched to stg - on top of git - when I got my tree messed up twice by updates...
If you go for stg, I also recommend the bash completion extension which is very helpful (for patch name's management)

my 2 cents