Regarding Implementation of Microsoft Speech SDK using wine

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at cse.msu.edu
Tue Jan 24 12:08:03 CST 2006

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Kalpit Shah wrote:
>
>> I want to implement the Microsoft Speech SDK using wine on Fedora Core 3.
>>
>> How feasible is this.....can anyone give me an insight on how do i go
>> about doing this.....
>>
>> please give me some orientation.....
>

> The first step is to familiarize yourself with the Speech SDK's API on
> Windows.  Perhaps write a simple test program that uses it, then try run
> it on Wine.  The test program can later be submitted as part of the Wine
> regression test suite.
>
> Once you've done that, it should be a bit clearer which dll or OLE
> interface you need to implement to make it work.

Someone has made Festival connect to the MS Speech API on Windows;  it
might be possible to run that Windows port under Wine,  or use a similar
method to link to the native Linux version (see
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/festlang-talk/2006-January/000717.html
).  Another possiblility would be to use JNI to call the FreeTTS
libraries.  Is there any reason why a Wine DLL can't dynamically link to
Java?

--
DLL